44 Examples of What to Write in a Teacher Thank You Card
As the end of the school year approaches, and children are getting ready for the summer, is a good time to start thinking about a gift and thank you card for the teachers. As a parent, you may wish to send a gift to a special teacher who has helped your child throughout the year with their studies or any challenges. Sending a thank you card to a teacher is a wonderful gesture, and especially so if the child is leaving the school, and starting a new adventure at high school, college, or university.
Knowing what to write in a thank you card to a teacher can sometimes be difficult. For example, you may not know your child's teacher particularly well, so how do you refer to them? Often writing a thank you card for a teacher is done on the way to school, when time is not on your side. Coming up with some thoughtful words may be challenging while being rushed.
We’ve compiled a list of thoughtful thank you notes for teachers to make the process simpler. Select a message and personalise it with the name of the teacher, or something in particular that the teacher has helped the child with. For example, the teacher might have helped your child pass their maths exam, or been there for support at a tough time.
Teacher Thank You Messages From a Parent
Writing as a parent, you want to express your thanks towards this teacher over the years for helping your child. Your child may have mentioned the teacher a number of times before, so perhaps use these stories to personalise your message to evoke more emotion.
- Sarah was so lucky to have such a fantastic teacher. Thank you for everything Mr Smith!
- Your teaching allowed Michael to find out who he was and what he was good at. Thank you for this!
- Thank you Mrs Smith for all you have done for Sarah. You created a wonderful environment for her to learn and excel in.
- For all of your support to Thomas, we are so incredibly grateful for. Thank you!
- Thank you for being so patient, kind, and caring with our son/daughter. We feel so lucky to have had you as their teacher this year.
- Big hearts shape little minds. Thank you for all of your hard work and support.
- I know my child can be challenging at times - but thank you so much for persevering and getting the best out of them!
- Over this past year, Thomas has become more confident and determined, and that is thanks to you. Thank you so much Mrs Smith.
- You’ve inspired our son/daughter. They are incredibly fortunate to have had a teacher in you.
- For all of your moral support and guidance, we are truly thankful for.
Teacher Thank You Messages From a Child
In some instances, the child may wish to give a card to their teacher which comes directly from them. Depending on the age of the child, they may need help and guidance to write a thoughtful message. You can ask the child what the teacher means to them, or what the teacher has helped them with.
- Miss Smith, thank you for being an amazing teacher.
- Thank you for being my teacher Mr Smith!
- Thank you to a wonderful teacher.
- Thank you for helping me grow.
- You are a very special teacher indeed. Thank you!
- I had so much fun learning with you Miss Smith. Thank you!
- Thank you for teaching me how to be the best version of me.
- I always had fun in your class Mr Smith.
- You are awesome!
- I will never forget this year. Thank you!
Teacher Thank You Messages From Students
Writing a thank you card to a teacher isn’t reserved only for younger children. You can indeed send a card to say thank you when you are leaving high school, university, or any other form of education. Below are some simple thank you messages to use.
- You’ve helped me grow into the person I am. Thank you doesn’t do justice.
- You challenged me to ask more of myself. I can’t express my gratitude enough.
- Words can’t express how you have helped shape who I am. I am so thankful for your help and guidance.
- I will never forget my time in your class. You helped me to think bigger.
- You showed me what I am truly capable of. There is no better lesson.
- You truly have made a difference to my life. Thank you!
- I’m leaving your class more confident and sure of who I am. Thank you!
- So grateful for having you as my teacher!
Quotes about Teaching
In some instances, a quote about teaching may suffice instead of, or alongside your message. This would perhaps be better suited for a card from a higher education student.
- ‘Education is not the filling of a pot but the lighting of a fire.’ –W.B. Yeats
- ‘A teacher is one who makes himself progressively unnecessary.’ –Thomas Carruthers
- ‘Teaching is the highest form of understanding.’ –Aristotle
- ‘I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.’ –Albert Einstein
- ‘It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.’ –Albert Einstein
- ‘I am not a teacher, but an awakener.’ –Robert Frost
- ‘[My teacher] basically bribed me back into learning with candy and money and what was really remarkable was before very long I had such a respect for her that it sort of re-ignited my desire to learn.’ –Steve Jobs
- ‘Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.’ –William Butler Yeats
- ‘There is no failure. Only feedback.’–Robert Allen
- ‘I cannot be a teacher without exposing who I am.’ –Paulo Freire
- ‘Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.’ —Theodore Roosevelt
- ‘The true teacher defends his pupils against his own personal influence.’ –Amos Bronson Alcott
- ‘The job of an educator is to teach students to see vitality in themselves.’ –Joseph Campbell
- ‘The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.’ ― William Arthur Ward
- ‘Those who know, do. Those that understand, teach.’ –Aristotle
- ‘A teacher affects eternity: he can never tell where his influence stops.’ –Henry Adams
Remember with all of the above thank you messages, to personalise them with details on what you learnt, the lessons, their teaching style etc. This card may become a keepsake for the teacher, so make it a good one!