What To Write In Engagement Cards - 88 Engagement Messages
Engagement. What exactly does engagement mean? The definition is the mutual promise of two people to marry, whereby they testify their desire to marry.
So, your friends or family have announced their engagement! A special time in their life and the start of a new chapter together. Seeing them a card with a special message is a great way to celebrate and acknowledge their engagement. However, you might struggle to think of what engagement words to write. We’ve created a list of heartfelt best wishes that you can choose from, depending on the relationship you have with those who have become engaged.
Short, sweet, and simple engagement messages
Keeping it short and sweet is a great way to approach the engagement wording for your card to congratulate the couple. Below is a selection of our favourites, which you can personalise and add to.
- So happy for the two of you!
- Such wonderful news for you both.
- A perfect match!
- The perfect couple - we couldn’t be happier for you.
- This is such happy news! Congratulations!
- You’re getting married!
- Sending warmest congratulations and lots of love.
- Wishing you happy times ahead!
- The best news!
- Here’s to a long and happy life together!
- Wishing you all the best for the future.
- You guys make a great couple!
- Congratulations on your engagement.
- The start of your next chapter together.
- You are meant to be together.
- Forever and ever.
- Marriage is a wonderful thing.
- They put a ring on it!
- Congrats on your big news!
Funny engagement messages
If you have a joking relationship with the newly engaged couple, you may wish to add humour to your engagement message. Have a look at the list below and use it as inspiration. Again, make the engagement best wishes personal to your relationship with the couple, and use past memories and experiences you’ve had with them.
- Well, it’s about time!
- It’s not too late to back out.
- I’m going to get so drunk at your wedding.
- This calls for lots of booze.
- She said yes??
- Happy Entrapment. I mean Engagement!
- I’m happy and jealous in equal amounts.
- You found someone as weird as you, well done!
- Wow. I’m amazed she said yes. Well done!
- Holy Moly Matrimony!
- I can’t wait to ugly cry at your wedding.
Engagement messages to the bride
Perhaps the engagement card is sent specifically to the bride from one of the potential bridesmaids, or even maid of honour! Well, our lists of messages to the bride are perfect for your special engagement message.
- You will be the most beautiful bride. Ever!
- Sister from another mister. Congrats on your engagement!
- Soon you’ll be a Mrs!
- He put a ring on it!
- I’m already planning the bridal shower / hen do.
- We are going to get so drunk at the bridal shower / hen do.
- So, so, so, so, so happy for you!
- Time to be someone else's wifey!
- Congratulations to my amazing sister on her engagement.
- You will be such a stunning bride! Congrats!
- Congratulations on finding your dream man.
Engagement messages to the groom
Perhaps the engagement card is sent specifically to the groom from one of the potential groomsmen, ushers, or even best man! Well, our lists of messages to the groom are perfect for your engagement message.
- I literally can’t believe she said yes. Well done!
- It’s about time you proposed!
- This is such great news.
- Congrats on finding your dream girl!
- You’ll always be my wingman.
- Congratulations to my brother on your engagement.
- So happy for you brother!
- The stag do will be legendary.
- When can we start planning the stag do.
- She’s one lucky woman!
- One step closer to becoming a husband.
Thoughtful and Sentimental Engagement Messages
If you want to send a more thoughtful and loved up message to the happy couple, the below list will have an option for you.
- Engagement is the time when you have a clear view of how wonderful your coming life will be. So try to get the best vision of a great and wonderful future waiting for you.
- You can do anything as long as you have each other.
- Congratulations on your engagement! You make a wonderful couple.
- Here is to the start of a long and wonderful journey together.
- There will be good and bad times but you will face them together as a couple.
- Together you are stronger. Best wishes on your engagement
- Love is powerful. Love one another and you will be happy for a lifetime.
Engagement and Marriage Words of Wisdom
If you wish to impart some words of wisdom for engagements or marriage, select one of the below messages.
- Husband and wife relationships are like the relationship of Tom and Jerry. Though they are teasing and fighting, but can’t live without each other.
- My other half is my best friend, my greatest support, my biggest comfort, my strongest motivation, my truest smile, my deepest love, my favourite, my forever.
- Never marry the one you can live with, marry the one you cannot live without.
- True love stands by each other’s side on good days and stands closer on bad days.
- Don’t ever stop dating your wife and don’t ever stop flirting with your husband.
- Marriage stands the test of times when both you and your spouse work towards making things better. And we are tested the most when we face adversities. If you can sail through the adversities as one, as a team, then you have won half the battle.
- A perfect marriage is just two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other.
- To love is nothing. To be loved is something. But to be loved by the person you love is everything.
- It’s amazing how one day someone walks into your life, and you cannot remember how you ever lived without them.
Wedding and Engagement Quotes
Sometimes it’s best to say it with a quote. Select from our thoughtful, sentimental, and funny engagement messages below.
- “My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me.” – Winston Churchill
- “If I get married, I want to be very married.” – Audrey Hepburn
- “Marriage is not just spiritual communion, it is also remembering to take out the trash.” – Joyce Brothers
- “A good marriage is one which allows for change and growth in the individuals and in the way they express their love.” – Pearl S. Buck
- “By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll become happy; if you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.” – Socrates
- “The great marriages are partnerships. It can’t be a great marriage without being a partnership.” – Helen Mirren
- “In terms of my marriage, you know, falling in love with my husband was by far the best thing that’s ever happened to me.” – Caroline Kennedy
- “There is no such cozy combination as man and wife.” – Menander
- “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” – Mignon McLaughlin
- “Love is not weakness. It is strong. Only the sacrament of marriage can contain it.” – Boris Pasternak
- “A great marriage is not when the ‘perfect couple’ comes together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.” – Dave Meurer
- “Experts on romance say for a happy marriage there has to be more than a passionate love. For a lasting union, they insist, there must be a genuine liking for each other. Which, in my book, is a good definition for friendship.” – Marilyn Monroe
As with the quotes, sometimes writing down poems about engagement work well. See our favourites below:
Congratulations on Your Engagement
Congratulations, we're happy to say!
We always hoped things would turn out this way.
We can't imagine a more perfect pair,
And a greater love, no two people share.
It's clear to see you belong together
Through sunshine, rain, and all kinds of weather.
The rest of your lives are about to unfold,
A lifetime of love, to have and to hold.
It Begins with a Promise
It begins with a promise,
A promise to wed.
Two hearts will be united,
Two souls will be led,
Down the aisle together,
A sacred pledge to fulfill.
So congratulations on your engagement
And be happy; we know you will.
Best Wishes on Your Engagement
An engagement is a
Very precious thing.
It starts with one question,
And is sealed with a ring.
The ring symbolises a promise
To always cherish.
Two hearts bound together,
Love never to perish.
And this is the soul of
Our wishes for you.
Congratulations on your engagement,
And may your love always be true.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Love does not consist of gazing at each other,
but looking together in the same direction.
One day you will meet someone
who will see the universe
that was knitted in your bones,
and the embers of galaxies glow to life in your eyes.
And you will finally know
what love is supposed to feel like.
Marriage is not
a house, or even a tent
It is before that, and colder:
the edge of the forest, the edge
of the desert
the unpainted stairs
at the back, where we squat
outdoors, eating popcorn
where painfully and with wonder
at having survived this far
We are learning to make fire.
See our collection of engagement and congratulation cards.
Leave a comment